Project status is complete. Please view our active projects.
The Remote Sensing Project supports the basic research, development, and application of new and existing remotely sensed data. The project is multi-disciplinary and encompasses theoretical, laboratory and field studies using satellite thermal infrared, imaging spectroscopy, satellite thematic mapper and related geological, geochemical, and mineralogical data. The project focused on integrating laboratory studies of minerals with remotely sensed data to demonstrate the power of integrating remote sensing data with mineralogy and stable isotope geochemistry to derive information on the conditions of ore genesis. Some project tasks examine data previously collected by other agencies for non-MRP objectives. Project sites investigated are related to uranium/molybdenum deposits, acid sulphate systems, and Cu-porphyry systems. The project ensures data compatibility; provides and maintains common facilities and hardware for data acquisition, analysis and interpretation; develops and manages spectral analysis software and data libraries; provides framework for investigations which are in early stages of development and testing and consequently are not suitable for blanket application. Other investigations include 1) using remotely sensed data obtained by a recently lauched satellite, and 2) development of an understanding of mineral chemistry and reaction mechanisms between organic substances and clay minerals.
For current remote sensing research on our team, please see the Remote Sensing Research and Applications project.
|Trude King||Box 25046 MS 964 DFC
Denver, CO 80225
Products are listed according to task.
|Task Number||Task Title|
|Task 1||Surfical Materials, Protoliths, and Geochemical Processes - Field and Laboratory Measurements|
|Task 2||The Connection Between Imaging Spectroscopy and Geology: Marysvale, UT|
|Task 3||Effects of Climate and Erosion on the Spectral Signature of Acid Sulfate Hydrothermal Systems|
|Task 4||Contrasting Cu-Porphyry Systems: Prototype Surface Characterization|
|Task 5||Imaging Spectroscopy Research, Development, and Training|
|Task 6||Evaluation of Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER) Data for Mineral Resource Studies|
|Task 7||Defining Reaction Mechanisms in Clay/Organic Mixtures|
Additional spectroscopy products are available on the USGS Spectroscopy Laboratory Site
Note: Some documents on this website are PDF files. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view them. Download free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF files at the Adobe web site. Or go to Adobe's accessibility information for users with disabilities page.
Task 1 Surfical Materials, Protoliths, and Geochemical Processes - Field and Laboratory Measurements
- Wanty, R.B., B.R. Berger, G.S. Plumlee, and T.V.V. King, 1999, Geoenvironmental Models - An introduction, Proceedings of a Symposium entitled, "Deposit and Geoenvironmental Models for Resource Exploitation and Environmental Security", Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- King, T.V.V., R.O. Rye, W.I. Ridley, and R.N. Clark, 1999, Exploring the Use of Infrared Spectroscopy to Examine Stable Isotopic Ratios: Preliminary Systematics of D/H Ratios in Kaolinite, in, Proceedings of XXXth Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, March 1999, Houston, TX.
Task 2 The Connection Between Imaging Spectroscopy and Geology: Marysvale, UT
- Rockwell, B.W., Clark, R.N., Cunningham, C.G., Sutley, S.J., Gent, C.A., McDougal, R.R., Livo, K.E., and Kokaly, R., 2000, Mineral mapping in the Marysvale volcanic field, Utah using AVIRIS data: JPL Publication 00-18. [PDF file, 3.9 MB]
Task 3 Effects of Climate and Erosion on the Spectral Signature of Acid Sulfate Hydrothermal Systems
- Swayze, G.A., Smith, K.S., Clark, R.N., and Sutley, S.J., 2000, Imaging spectroscopy: a new screening tool for mapping acidic mine waste: ICARD 2000 Proceedings from the Fifth International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage, Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration, v. 2, p. 1531-1539.
Task 4 Contrasting Cu-Porphyry Systems: Prototype Surface Characterization
- No products listed.
Task 5 Imaging Spectroscopy Research, Development, and Training
- Clark, R.N., 1999, Chapter 1: Spectroscopy of Rocks and Minerals and Principles of Spectroscopy, Principles of Spectroscopy, Manual of Remote Sensing (Invited), (A.N. Rencz, ed.) John Wiley and Sons, New York, pp. 3-58.
- Clark, R. N., Livo, K.E., and Kokaly, R.F., 1998, Geometric Correction of AVIRIS Data Using On-Board Engineering Information: Summaries of the 7th Annual JPL Airborne Earth Science Workshop, R.O. Green, ed., JPL Publication 97-21. Jan. 12-14, pp. 57-66.
- Clark, R.N., Vance, S., Livo, K.E., and Green, R.O., 1998, Mineral Mapping with Imaging Spectroscopy: The Ray Mine, AZ, Summaries of the 7th Annual JPL Airborne Earth Science Workshop, R.O. Green, ed., JPL Publication 97-21. Jan. 12-14, pp. 67-76.
- King, T.V.V., Clark, R.N., and Swayze, G.A., 2000, Application of Imaging Spectroscopy Data: A Case Study at Summitville. Colorado: Methods in Environmental Geology: Remote Sensing, F. Kuhen, T. V.V. King, B. Hoerig, and D. Peters, eds., Springer Verlag, pp. 164-186.
- Kokaly, R., and Clark, R.N., 1999, Determination of Leaf Chemical Concentration Using Band-Depth Analysis of Absorption Features and Stepwise Linear Regression: Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 67, pp. 267-287.
- Kokaly, R.F., and Clark, R.N., 1998, Determination of Leaf Chemistry from Normalized Absorption Band Depths and Investigation of the Effects from Influences Encountered in Remotely Sensed Spectra: Summaries of the 7th Annual JPL Airborne Earth Science Workshop, R.O. Green, ed., JPL Publication 97-21, Jan. 12-14, pp. 235-244.
- Swayze, G.A., Smith, K.S., Clark, R.N., Sutley, S.J., Pearson, R.N., Rust, G.S., Vance, J.S., Hageman, P.L., Briggs, P.H., Meier, A.L., Singleton, M.J., and Roth, S., 1999, Using Imaging Spectroscopy to Map Acidic Mine Waste: Environmental Science and Technology, 2000, 34, pp. 47-54.
- Kokaly, R.F., Clark, R.N., and Livo, K.E., 1998, Mapping the Biology and Mineralogy of Yellowstone National Park Using Imaging Spectroscopy, Summaries of the 7th Annual JPL Airborne Earth Science Workshop, R.O. Green, ed., JPL Publication 97-21, Jan. 12-14, pp. 245-254.
- Swayze, G., Clark, R.N., Hageman, P.L., Smith, K.S., Sutley, S.J., Briggs, P.H., Singleton, M.J., Meier, A.L., Pearson, R.M., and Rust, G.S., 1998, Using imaging spectroscopy as screening tool for evaluating sources of acid mine drainage: groundtruth from the California Gulch Superfund site at Leadville Colorado: Summaries of the 7th Annual JPL Airborne Earth Science Workshop, R.O. Green, ed., JPL Publication 97-21, Jan. 12-14, pp. 385-389.
- Clark, R.N., Swayze, G.A., and King, T.V.V., 2003, Imaging Spectroscopy: Earth and Planetary Remote Sensing with the USGS Tetracorder and Expert Systems: Journal of Geophysical research, 108 [E12], 5131, doi:10.1029/2002JE001847, 2003.
- King, T.V.V. and Clark, R.N., 2000, Verification of Remotely Sensed Data, in, Methods in Environmental Geology: Remote Sensing, F. Kuhen, T. V.V. King, B. Hoerig, and D. Peters, Eds, Springer Verlag, pp. 59-63.
- King, T.V.V., Clark, R.N., Swayze, G.A., Kokaly, R., Dalton, B., and Livo, K., 1998, Approach to Defining Limitations and Verification of Imaging Spectroscopy Data (Invited): GIS, Airborne, Remote Sensing and Geospatial Clearinghouse workshop, Budapest Hungary, Feb 1998, 3 pp.
- King, T.V.V., Clark, R.N., Kokaly, R., Dalton, B., Livo, K., and Swayze, G.A., 1998, Theoretical and practical approach to geological and environmental assessments of public and private lands using imaging spectroscopy (Invited): GIS, Airborne Remote Sensing and Geospatial Clearinghouse Workshop, Budapest, Hungary, Feb. 1998.
- Swayze, G.A., R.N. Clark, A.F. Goetz, N.S. Gorelick, and T.G. Chiren, 2000, Spectral Identification of Surface Materials Using Imaging spectroscopy data: Evaluation of the effects of detector sampling, bandpass, and signal-to-noise ratio using the USGS Tetracorder Algorithm., Submitted to J. Geophys Res., in revision.
- Dalton, J.B., King, T.V.V., Bove, D.J., Kokaly, R.F., Clark, R.N., Vance, J.S., and Swayze, G.A., 2000, Distribution of acid-generating and acid-buffering minerals in the Animas River watershed as determined by AVIRIS spectroscopy: ICARD 2000 roceedings from the Fifth International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage, Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration, pp. 1541-1550.
Task 6 Evaluation of Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER) Data for Mineral Resource Studies
- No products listed.
Task 7 Defining Reaction Mechanisms in Clay/Organic Mixtures
- No products listed.